Tuesday, January 27, 2015

"Shit fuck I made a mistake, I thought I needed a break. The truth is I'm such a dick, it's broke and can't be fixed."




Today is, for the second time, one of the saddest days in the music industry. Blink-182 have been one of the most influencial bands in the pop-punk scene since Travis Barker, Mark Hoppus and Tom DeLonge first started, back in 1992. Now that's a shit ton of time, I wasn't even born and they were already trying to change the world.

After it was announced in 2005 they were taking a break from touring because mr. DeLonge (guitar and vocals) felt the band was taking too much time off his family life. Initially, it was meant to be a 6 month long break-up, but nothing ever happened until 2008. Mark and Travis had been working on their side project +44, and DeLonge was working on Angels and Airwaves-- both amazing projects if you ask me, just not Blink. After Barker was involved in a plane crash and almost died, that's when Tom decided he wanted to play music with him again. Later on, Neighbourhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs were released.

What's so sad about today, is Tom DeLonge ditching the band once again, It was announced last night by Travis and Mark he was not in the band, to which Tom replied with an Instagram post saying "To all the fans, I never quit the band. I actually was on a phone call about a blink 182 event for New York City at the time all these weird press releases started coming in... Apparently those releases were 'sanctioned' from the band. Are we dysfunctional- yes. But, Christ..... #Awkward #BabyBackRibs"
Awkwardly, The Rolling Stone posted an interview overnight where Mark and Travis say otherwise.

To sum up what I've gathered, Tom DeLonge never really cared about the band after they broke up the first time, the only reason he ever went back to his bandmates was to make more money, and the reason he said he is, in fact, still in the band, is because he is scared of the fans' reactions. This was something a lot of people, including me, were expecting would happen sooner or later, but just because it was expected it's not any less sad. I have to admit I have shed a few tears and I'm sure I'll sheed a few more. I'm just hoping Hoppus and Barker will stick to their word and continue to play Blink music on tour, despite promising repeatedly in the past they would never carry on with the band if even one of them left.

It seems like in the end they could not stay together for the kids.


Much love,
Vanessa
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment